The Lost Childhood

       It was Diwali of 2011, on 26th October. I was so happy about that day. Finally, we were going to buy a color TV. My Little dream is to finally see cartoon shows in my house. I was very much excited. Since my childhood, I've mostly played outdoor games, and I've played them all. Every Saturday and Sunday, it was just about playing the whole day long. In the evening, I would go to Saurabh's house to watch cartoons and anime shows. Like Tom & Jerry, Pokèmon, Beyblade, Digimon, Duel Masters, Dragonball, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Power-puff girls, Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd & Eddy, Code-name Kids Next Door, Samurai Jack, Swat Cats, and the list goes on. Weekends were always the best. I always wanted to see them at my own house, sadly, I couldn't. All I had for a TV was black & white Onida which would only have one channel on it Doordarshan if you know that you are fantastic.

       One day, we were watching Beyblade G-force, humming to its title track's tune and shouting, let it rip as loud as we can. I overheard a quarrel but decided to focus on watching the show. After a few minutes, Saurabh's mother came and switched off the TV, scolding us all. I ran out of there back home crying. I felt bad. And that was the day I stopped visiting my neighbors as I realized that's not my home. Even how badly I want to watch a stupid show, I couldn't. I kept that all to myself. Took me days but I finally got rid of it. Slowly I began to listen to radio shows on my Walkman. And wow, I enjoyed it. Mostly I used to listen to Radio Mirchi 98.3 just to listen to RJ Smita and her show Purani Jeans. It was so much fun for me listening to old Bollywood songs and studying at the same time. I miss it now. However, life went on until the day came. I was so excited to have that new TV at our home to watch all my cartoon shows that I've missed.

       By 11 a.m., we were at the shop. I just told my mom and dad to buy the goddamn TV as I couldn't wait any longer. Finally, we purchased the color TV. All the TV and cable connection setup took hours and hours. All set and done till 7 p.m. I turn on the TV, and the first thing I do is switch to Cartoon Network, and I was surprised there were some new shows, not the ones I watched. I began to switch to every other kid's channel to see whether any one of them was on the air; they weren't. I checked the schedules, and I go all over the cable menu, but nothing. My surprise was turned to shock. I didn't want to watch Motu or Patlu or Oggy and Cockroaches. It was all gone. I went to our rooftop and sat down there for a while. I looked up in the sky, and it felt empty even if it had a moon and stars.

'Knock knock,' Universe said,

'Who is it ?' I asked.

'Happen,' Universe replied,

'What happen?' I asked curiously.

'Life Happened' Universe chuckled at me.

I laughed back hard.

       A 17-year boy who waited years for this day was disappointed, broken to be exact. And now here am I sitting on the same rooftop reminiscing the same day. I realized for me, life was never normal; I have got everything late. The first-ever movie I watched in a multiplex was also in 2011, and that was RA.One. The first time I came to know about the MCU was in 2015, and now I'm totally a geek about it. I got into a relationship when I was 21, where my other friends had been through alliances with an 'S.' But for whatever reason, everything that happened late with me. I'm glad, better late than never, right? Even though that 17-year kid was sad that day, something changed in me that day. I started to live one day at a time with what I have. Yes, I lost my childhood in that aspect, but I gained a lot too. For s what's worth it, I'm still a kid at heart, and I'll always be.

Let's cheer for the kid in you. Peace.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness

The First Step